Envy Apples available now at Foodland!
We’re working with farmers who think the same way we do here at Foodland - that taste is number one. These growers are the best and they leave the fruit on the trees longer, so the fruit actually ripens on the tree. That really allows the fruit to have a higher sugar content. So the fruit that you’ll find in our stores this summer will be the sweetest fruit available anywhere. The sweetest apples, cherries, berries, melons, peaches, pineapples, and a whole lot more that your family will love. We invite you to enjoy the sweetness of summer that’s now available at Foodland.
We are super excited to let our customers know that right now we have the delicious Envy Apples in season! This apple from New Zealand eats as fantastically as it looks, with a light crisp bite, and a deliciously sweet flavor. It's often described to have the best features of the Royal Gala and Braeburn apple varieties, but personally I think it's simply the best apple I’ve ever tasted. Once you take the first crisp juicy sweet bite, you’ll have to eat the whole apple, and maybe even more!
Envy Apples are seasonal, and only available for a short period of time, so please get them while they're still here. This week we have them on sale at any of your local Foodland and Sack N Saves stores, and be sure to check our weekly ad for pricing here.
While a nice chilled Envy apple is a great snack anytime, I wanted to share one of our favorite ways to prepare a breakfast favorite with Envy apples!
Envy Apple French Toast
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
1 nut bread loaf
2 Envy apples
1 tbs apple juice (concentrate)
1 tsp cinnamon (or more to taste)
- Slice bread into 8 half-inch slices.
- Wash, core and quarter the apples. Slice six Envy™ apple quarters as thin as you can. Use a mandolin, if you have one in your kitchen.
- Take the remaining two quarters and place in a food processor and process until the apple is coarsely chopped. You can also use a grater to do this step.
- Beat the eggs together, add the finely chopped or grated apple and 1 tablespoon of the apple juice concentrate. Continue to beat until all ingredients are mixed together. Pour egg mixture into a dish about 1 inch deep and large enough to hold two slices of bread.
- Preheat a large pan over medium heat and spray with oil.
- Place one slice of bread into the egg mixture. Place a layer of sliced apples over the bread and place another slice of bread on top. Spoon egg mixture over the top slice of bread until soaked through. Cook each side until golden brown.
- Serve and sprinkle with powdered sugar, cinnamon and maple syrup.
Hope you enjoy the recipe and let us know if you have any creative ways that you like to eat Envy apples!