Meet the Cheese Maker, Janette Scarth
Don’t miss this rare chance to meet an authentic British cheese maker! Janette Scarth, from Wensleydale-Belton Farm in the U.K., will be talking about the history of the venerable creamery and will be handing out samples of their wide selection in our stores this week. Wensleydale cheese has been made in the town of Wensleydale, Yorkshire since 1150 A.D. Today, the Wensleydale Creamery is the only company to craft Wensleydale cheese at its birthplace using a time-honored recipe.
Come taste some of England’s most famous and delicious cheeses! Here are a few that Ms. Scarth will have for you to try:
- Stilton, an unpressed blue cheese with a mellow flavor and creamy texture. A PDO cheese (Protected Denomination of Origin, referring to protection of the name and authenticity of the production method, for those of you in the know). Its open texture allows it to be easily crumbled. Try it over salads, even pizza and pasta, or as it has been enjoyed for centuries: with Port spooned directly from the top of the wheel.
- Farmhouse English Cheddar, a Red Leicester named after the County from which it originated. Aged for 18 months, its rich orange hue and slightly sweet flavor become stronger as it matures. A versatile cheese that melts beautifully into sauces or a great addition to any cheese board.
- 5 Cheddars Shire, a fabulously layered cheese offering all the U.K.’s regional flavors, including a White Cheddar, Colored Cheddar, Real Yorkshire Wensleydale, Red Leicester and Double Gloucester.
- Abbot’s Gold Caramelized Onion Cheddar, a smooth, creamy cheddar with sweet caramelized onions.
- Real Yorkshire Wensleydale & Cranberries, a superb dessert cheese that can provide color to brighten up any cheese board. This cheese is also made with succulent apricots, a perfect balance of fruit and cheese.
You don’t want to miss out on these fantastic cheeses! Here are the dates, times and locations of the in-store events:
- Friday, 4/6/12 at Foodland Farms Aina Haina, 3 pm – 7 pm
- Saturday, 4/7/12 at Foodland Kailua, 2 pm – 6 pm
- Sunday, 4/8/12 at Foodland Beretania, 11 am – 3 pm
- Thursday, 4/12/12 at Foodland Market City, 3 pm – 7 pm
- Friday, 4/13/12 at Foodland Pupukea, 3 pm – 7 pm
**If you missed Chef Keoni Chang and Janette Scarth on Wake Up 2Day with Manolo Morales, be sure to check out this clip:
While tasting a locally made smoked Ahi Spread at R. Field Wine Co., the usual "OMG" can be heard after that first bite. The combination of this lightly smoked spread and a thin, crisp "Waterwheel" or “Lavosh” cracker is the best pairing! It is impossible to just have a taste....this great tasting spread demands instantly for more. While the best pairing is on cracker, others have tried it ... more »
Chocolate on a Mission opened in October of 2011. It is a chocolate factory on the Mission’s third floor. The purpose of Chocolate on a Mission was to help provide financial support to The River of Live Mission organization. All proceeds from Chocolate on a Mission go towards helping individuals get a fresh new start.
Funny shapes and unique colors make heirloom tomatoes stand out next to your typical red tomato. But don't let their natural Halloween costumes intimidate you, these gourmet tomatoes have an exceptional flavor profile and can be used in a variety of different dishes.
Kumu Farms actually began right here on Oahu’s North Shore in 1980, on just 2 acres of land. Since then, they've migrated to the island of Molokai, and now farm over 120 acres on the Mahana-Ho’olehua Plain. Each week, they harvest 20,000 pounds of papaya, 4,000 pounds of Sweet Basil, and 500 pounds of other fresh herbs, including many specialty crops. And today, over half of their acreage is co-certified Organic.
New food trends and so called "Super Foods" seem to be popping up every month. With all the hype surrounding certain food trends, it can be hard for the average consumer to get a handle on what some of these terms mean and how these foods directly affect our health and bodies. Recently two such foods have been receiving a great deal of notoriety in the press and can now easily be found on health food store shelves, five star restaurant menus, your neighbor's garden, vegan cookbooks and ... more »
The term “Artisan” has been sort of loosely thrown about lately, but what does it really mean? Well, the definition of "artisan" is a person or company that makes a high-quality, distinctive product in small quantities, usually by hand and using traditional methods...
So when I think of truly "Artisan" foods, Cristiano Creminelli and his line of handcrafted cured meats made from old time family recipes comes to mind.
Don’t miss this rare chance to meet an authentic British cheese maker! Janette Scarth, from Wensleydale-Belton Farm in the U.K., will be talking about the history of the venerable creamery and will be handing out samples of their wide selection in our stores this week. Wensleydale cheese has been made in the town of Wensleydale, Yorkshire since 1150 A.D. Today, the Wensleydale Creamery is the only company to craft Wensleydale ... more »
Oscar Parties are a fun way to celebrate Oscar night, and how else to celebrate Hollywood's most glamorous star-studded evening than with our most gourmet foods from R. Field Wine Company? Here are our nominees for Best Appetizers and Best Supporting Pairings!
Caviar: To really get into that Red Carpet mood, try our fine selection of caviars such as Osetra (1oz jar) or American Bowfin (7oz tin). Paired with a delicious bottle of Krug Champagne, you'll be the star host of the ... more »