Meet the Cheese Maker, Janette Scarth
Don’t miss this rare chance to meet an authentic British cheese maker! Janette Scarth, from Wensleydale-Belton Farm in the U.K., will be talking about the history of the venerable creamery and will be handing out samples of their wide selection in our stores this week. Wensleydale cheese has been made in the town of Wensleydale, Yorkshire since 1150 A.D. Today, the Wensleydale Creamery is the only company to craft Wensleydale cheese at its birthplace using a time-honored recipe.
Come taste some of England’s most famous and delicious cheeses! Here are a few that Ms. Scarth will have for you to try:
- Stilton, an unpressed blue cheese with a mellow flavor and creamy texture. A PDO cheese (Protected Denomination of Origin, referring to protection of the name and authenticity of the production method, for those of you in the know). Its open texture allows it to be easily crumbled. Try it over salads, even pizza and pasta, or as it has been enjoyed for centuries: with Port spooned directly from the top of the wheel.
- Farmhouse English Cheddar, a Red Leicester named after the County from which it originated. Aged for 18 months, its rich orange hue and slightly sweet flavor become stronger as it matures. A versatile cheese that melts beautifully into sauces or a great addition to any cheese board.
- 5 Cheddars Shire, a fabulously layered cheese offering all the U.K.’s regional flavors, including a White Cheddar, Colored Cheddar, Real Yorkshire Wensleydale, Red Leicester and Double Gloucester.
- Abbot’s Gold Caramelized Onion Cheddar, a smooth, creamy cheddar with sweet caramelized onions.
- Real Yorkshire Wensleydale & Cranberries, a superb dessert cheese that can provide color to brighten up any cheese board. This cheese is also made with succulent apricots, a perfect balance of fruit and cheese.
You don’t want to miss out on these fantastic cheeses! Here are the dates, times and locations of the in-store events:
- Friday, 4/6/12 at Foodland Farms Aina Haina, 3 pm – 7 pm
- Saturday, 4/7/12 at Foodland Kailua, 2 pm – 6 pm
- Sunday, 4/8/12 at Foodland Beretania, 11 am – 3 pm
- Thursday, 4/12/12 at Foodland Market City, 3 pm – 7 pm
- Friday, 4/13/12 at Foodland Pupukea, 3 pm – 7 pm
**If you missed Chef Keoni Chang and Janette Scarth on Wake Up 2Day with Manolo Morales, be sure to check out this clip: