Classic Bistro Steamed Clams
|6||dozen||fresh manila clams|
|4||each||garlic cloves, chopped|
|1||each||large onion, chopped|
|2||Cup||clam juice or water|
|1⁄2||Cup||softened butter, cut into 1/4" slices (1 stick)|
| ||Each||parsley leaves, chopped, for garnish|
| ||Each||lemon, sliced in wedges, for garnish|
- Wash the clams thoroughly and remove any blemishes from the shell.
- Fresh clams should be closed shut and not have any odor.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan (with a cover) over medium heat and cook garlic and onion until translucent.
- Add in the clams and wine.
- Cook for a couple of minutes to combine the flavors.
- Add in the clam juice (or water) and cover the pan for about 10 minutes until the clams open.
- Discard any clams that do not open and place clams into serving bowls.
- Season the remaining liquid in the pan with salt and pepper, and swirl in the butter to make a sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the clams.
- Garnish with lots of chopped parsley and lemon wedges.
- Serve with crusty bread.