Chocolate Ice Cream Dream
|1||box||Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Devil's Food Cake mix|
|1||each||Dreyer's chocolate ice cream, 48 oz.|
|2||each||Cool Whip whipped topping, 12 oz. tub|
|3||each||Hershey's milk chocolate bars, 5 oz.|
|2||each||9" serving platters|
- Prepare the chocolate devil's food cake mix according to the mixing instructions on the box.
- Divide the cake batter into 2 - 8" round cake pans.
- Bake cake according to baking instructions on the box.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and invert onto a wax paper lined flat surface.
- Allow the cakes to cool completely for about 2 hours.
- Remove the cake pans from the cakes and cut each cake into 2 even layers.
- Place the bottom of the two layers back into the cake pan.
- Open the top of the ice cream and cut the ice cream container off, carefully.
- Cut the ice cream in half and gently press each half of the ice cream into the cake pans.
- Spread the ice cream into an even layer.
- Place the top layer of the cake on top of the ice cream and freeze for 1 hour.
- Once the ice cream has frozen solid, remove one cake at a time from the freezer to defrost.
- Prepare a large bowl of hot water and dip the cake pan into the water to loosen the ice cream cake from the cake pan.
- Flip the cake over onto the serving platter.
- Frost the entire cake with the Cool Whip and place the cake back into the freezer.
- Repeat this process with the second cake.
- Using a vegetable peeler shave the chocolate bars into chocolate curls.
- Place the curls into a container and then into the freezer to harden for about 5 minutes.
- Gently press the chocolate curls into the Cool Whip frosting around and top of the cakes.
- Keep the cakes frozen until about 30 minutes before eating.
- Buy ice cream from the store the day you are planning to make the Chocolate Ice Cream Dream cake and store in freezer while you bake the cake.
- If you are using ice cream that has been kept in your home freezer for more than a day, you may need more time to soften ice cream so you can work with it.