|2||Tablespoon||shallot or red onion, minced|
|3⁄4||Cup||Thai sweet chili sauce|
|3||Pound||chicken wings section (thawed)|
|2||Cup||mochiko rice flour|
- Cook sugar in a heavy bottom sauce pan with 2 quart capacity over low heat.
- Allow the sugar to caramelize stirring with wooden spoon (sugar should be a golden brown and in liquid form but not black).
- Carefully add fish sauce to the sugar (Note: the mixture will bubble vigorously).
- The sugar will become hard but allow the sugar to melt again into the fish sauce. Add ginger and shallots or red onion; allow to soften.
- Add chili sauce and sambal then stir to combine.
- Allow sauce to cool to room temperature before coating chicken.
- Sauce can be made in advance.
- Pull out in advance and cool to room temperature.
- Any leftover sauce may be refrigerated.
- Toss the chicken wing pieces in the teriyaki marinade and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Heat oil in wok or frying machine to 350°.
- Drain chicken from marinade then dredge in mochiko rice flour.
- Using a sifter or colander shake off excess flour.
- Drop the chicken pieces carefully into the hot oil and allow to fry until golden brown and internal temperature of 165° is reached on a metal stem thermometer.
- Toss in the sauce to coat all pieces and allow some of the sauce to absorb into chicken.
- Optional garnish of fine boas cut green onions and toasted sesame seeds.