Roy's Five Spice Kabocha Pumpkin Gnocchi
|2||Cup||kabocha pumpkin, baked, skin removed, mashed and strained through a sieve|
|2||Cup||potatoes, baked, skin removed, mashed and strained through a sieve|
|4||Cup||to 5 cups of flour|
|4||each||eggs, slightly beaten|
| ||each||water for boiling gnocchi|
| ||each||salt to taste|
| ||each||steamed vegetables for garnish|
Herb Brown Butter Sauce
|1||each||large shallot, sliced|
|1⁄4||Cup||sherry wine vinegar|
|1||Tablespoon||assorted herbs (basil, thyme, parsley), finely chopped|
- In a large mixing bowl combine kabocha pumpkin, potato, Five Spice, 4 cups flour, and salt and pepper. Stir ingredients gently to blend.
- Add eggs and stir lightly; do not over mix. The mixture will look slightly lumpy and unmixed.
- Turn out on a lightly floured board and gently knead the dough a couple of times. The dough will be slightly sticky.
- Cover with a dry cloth and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice 1” strips off the main piece of dough and gently roll into a uniform rope shape.
- Cut ½” pieces from each rope and lightly roll into oblong football shapes.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil with a little salt.
- Drop in gnocchi one by one. They will sink to the bottom of the pot, but as they cook they’ll float to the top.
- Melt butter in a heated pan until it starts to brown.
- Add cooked gnocchi and brown slightly.
- Stir in vinegar. Simmer mixture until reduced by half.
- Stir in herbs and salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with vegetables.