Pineapple Apple Brown Betty
|2||each||Granny Smith apples|
|1 1⁄2||each||pineapple (whole)|
|1||loaf||cinnamon bread, 8 oz.|
|3⁄4||Cup||brown sugar, firmly packed|
| ||Each||Whipped Cream|
- Preheat the oven to 325°.
- Peel, core and slice the apples and pineapple into medium sized pieces.
- Set aside.
- Slice the cinnamon bread into 1" cubes.
- Place bread on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 10 minutes or until the bread feels dried out.
- Remove bread from the oven and cool completely.
- Crust the bread croutons into small pieces and toss with the melted butter.
- Combine the brown sugar, pineapple juice, cinnamon and ginger together and toss with the apple and pineapple pieces.
- Grease a 9" glass baking dish with spray grease.
- Spread 1/3 of the bread crumb mixture evenly on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Spread 1/2 of the fruit mixture in an even layer on top of the bread crumb mixture.
- Repeat this process ending with bread crumbs on the top.
- Grease the top of the bread crumbs with spray grease and cover the entire baking dish with tin foil.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour.
- Check the tenderness of the apples by carefully poking a fork into the apple.
- The flesh should be tender.
- If you need to bake further do so in 20 minute intervals, checking after every 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 days covered.
- Serve with whipped cream.