Maui Onions with Ham and Shiitake Mushrooms
|4||Tablespoon||brown sugar (optional)|
|4||each||garlic cloves, chopped|
|4||Teaspoon||fresh rosemary, chopped|
|4||Teaspoon||fresh thyme, chopped|
|4||each||large shiitake mushroom caps, sliced|
|4||Ounce||ham, smoked ham or bacon, sliced into strips|
|4||each||aluminum foil, around 1 ft. square|
| ||Each||salt and freshly cracked pepper, as needed|
|4||Tablespoon||beef, chicken or veal broth|
|3||Tablespoon||extra virgin olive oil|
|1||each||ripe tomato, diced|
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix the butterm brown sugar (optional), shallots, garlic, rosemary, thyme, mushrroms and ham in a bowl.
- Lay each piece of foil flat and spoon 1/4 of the mixture onto the center of foil.
- To prepare each onion, first cut off the shriveled end.
- Then cut 6-8 shallow slits just through the borwn peel, lengthwise from the shriveled end to the root.
- Pull back the flaps of the onion peel over the root until it resembles a flower blossom.
- Place the onion on top of the seasonings on the aluminum foil.
- Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Then gather the foil completely around the onion leaving only the "blossoming" onion peels exposed.
- Mix sherry vinegar and stock together.
- Pour 1/4 of the sherry vinegar and stock, plus a few pinches of salt and pepper, into each of the foil packets before giving the foil a final pinch to seal it well.
- Bake on a cooking sheet for around 45 minutes or until soft.
- Note: The onion peel will be black.
- When the onion is done, remove the charred outer peel, arrange the onions on a platter.
- Take the remaining liquid, simmer over low heat to reduce it to a syruppy consistency.
- Pour the remaining sauce around the onions, along with some of the ham and mushroom mixture.
- Drizzle with the olive oil.
- Sprinkle with chives and diced tomato.
- Note: This recipe can be done in the oven or on the grill while you are preparing other items.