Grilled Beef and Kabocha Squash Satay
|2||Slice||ginger, thinly sliced|
|2||Pound||tender, lean beef, cut into 1/2" thick strips|
|1⁄2||Bunch||asparagus, cut to fit on skewer|
|1⁄2||Cup||green onions, cut to fit on skewer|
|1||Each||Kabocha squash, peeled and cubed|
|1⁄2||Cup||creamy peanut butter|
|2||leaf||Kaffir lime leaves|
|1⁄4||Cup||Thai basil, julienned|
|1⁄4||Cup||red curry paste|
- Combine 4 tablespoons fish sauce, 1/2 cup lime juice, 2 stalks lemongrass, 2 thin slices of ginger, 2 cloves of garlic, 4 basil leaves, a pinch of cilantro, and 1/4 cup of brown sugar in a bowl.
- Allow sugar to dissolve before marinating.
For Beef and Kabocha Squash Satay
- Marinate beef and vegetables for 20 minutes before you skewer.
- Alternate beef with vegetables so that the skewers are ¾ full and colorful.
- Grill for 5-6 minutes per side on low heat.
- Keep exposed skewers away from direct heat, so they do not burn.
- Beef should be cooked to desired doneness.
- Serve hot and with fresh mint, basil and cilantro as a garnish.
Thai Peanut Curry Sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a non-reactive (i.e. stainless steel or Teflon, do not use aluminum) saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer and cook slowly until sauce starts to thicken.
- Do not bring sauce to a boil.
- Simmer for about 1 hour.
- Let cool and discard lime leaves before serving.