|4||Pound||chicken thighs, bone in, skin on|
|1||Cup||packed light brown sugar|
|1||each||bulb garlic cloves, peeled and smashed|
|1||piece(s)||4-inch piece ginger, sliced 1/8 to 1/16 inch thick, long ways|
|4||Tablespoon||cornstarch dissolved in 4 tablespoons water|
|each||green onions for garnish|
- Combine all ingredients except cornstarch and green onions in a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce to low and cook very slowly, covered, until chicken is tender, about 30 to 35 minutes more. Continue to skim the broth for fat and impurities.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter.
- Strain the sauce and bring to a boil. Thicken with the cornstarch slurry.
- Glaze over the chicken. Garnish with slices of green onion.
The dish tastes better the second day.