Spiced Grilled Ahi with Local Tomato Salsa
|1||each||jalapeño chile, stemmed|
|2||Cup||ripe local tomatoes (Ho Farms or Hamakua), diced|
|1⁄4||Cup||red onion, diced|
|1||Tablespoon||fresh cilantro, finely chopped|
Coat grill with cooking spray and heat to high heat.
Remove fish from marinade and place on grill.
Cover grill and cook for 3 minutes.
Uncover, flip fish, cover again and cook until fish is done (about 2 minutes more for medium-rare).
Transfer fish to plates and spoon salsa on top.
- Roast garlic and jalapeño in a small, dry skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally, until soft (both will blacken in spots). Roast for 5 to 10 minutes for jalapeños, 15 minutes for garlic.
- Cool, then peel the garlic.
- Finely mince the garlic and jalapeño and mix in tomatoes.
- Rinse onion in a small strainer under cold water and drain.
- Stir in cilantro and mint.
- Add in lime juice and 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with the teaspoon of salt.
- Place the ahi steaks on a platter and season with chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Marinate with the juice of the one lime, and 1 tablespoon olive oil.