|3||Clove||garlic, finely chopped|
|3||Tablespoon||fresh ginger, finely chopped|
|1 1⁄2||Cup||chopped onions|
|1⁄4||Teaspoon||salt, to taste|
|1||Package||package frozen coconut milk (12 oz); or substitute 1 can coconut milk|
|each||Chicken broth, to taste (optional)|
|2||Tablespoon||peanut oil or vegetable oil|
|each||salt and pepper to taste|
Optional garnishes (added right before serving)
|each||Cashews or peanuts|
|each||Raisins or dried cranberries|
|each||Pineapple or mango chutney|
|each||Diced fresh banana|
|each||Sliced green onion|
- Peel and devein shrimp.
- Combine white wine and oil and add shrimp. Marinate for about 15 minutes
- Pan fry curry powder in a medium frying pan. Remove shrimp from marinade and add to pan. When shrimp turns pink, remove from heat and set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium-sized pot. Add garlic, ginger, and onion and cook until the onion is soft, but do not let it caramelize.
- Whisk in sugar, salt, curry powder and flour.
- Slowly whisk in coconut milk, a little at a time so the sauce stays smooth.
- Continue cooking, stirring often for about 20 minutes on a low boil so the sauce gets thick. If you prefer a thinner sauce, add chicken broth or more coconut milk to reach desired thickness.
- Add shrimp to sauce, stir and heat through, bringing to a gentle boil.
- Serve over hot rice with the garnishes of your choice.
Adapted from Willow's style shrimp curry recipe from "A Taste of Aloha: A Collection of Recipes from the Junior League of Honolulu"