Roy’s Lamb Stew with Potatoes and Cabbage
|Recipe Categories||Lamb |
|2||Pound||lamb shoulder meat, cut into large pieces|
|1||each||large leek, chopped|
|2||stalk||lemongrass, smashed ends and kept whole|
|1||Teaspoon||Chinese 5 spice|
|32||Ounce||beef broth or beef stock|
|10||piece(s)||dried shiitake mushroom|
|1||Cup||Japanese eggplant, cut into large pieces|
|1⁄2||Cup||chayote (squash), diced into large pieces|
|1||Cup||daikon (radish), diced into large pieces|
|1||Cup||lotus root, peeled and diced|
|2||Ounce||Hamakua shimeji mushrooms|
|10||each||baby red and yellow potatoes|
|2||Cup||Asian cabbage (Choi sum, Pak choy, or Kai choy), rough cut|
- Use heavy-bottomed sauce pot, heat oil on high heat and brown lamb on all sides.
- Add in leeks and lemongrass.
- Turn down heat and add garlic to sauce pot.
- Brown slightly.
- Add 5 spice, beef stock, oyster sauce and shiitake mushrooms.
- Simmer on medium heat for 35 minutes.
- Skim the top of liquid occasionally to remove any foam. Discard foam.
- After simmering and skimming lamb stew, turn down heat to a low simmer and add in eggplant, chayote, daikon, lotus root, shimeji mushrooms and potatoes.
- Keep simmering on low for 30 minutes.
- Check potatoes to make sure that they are tender.
- Bring back up to a boil and carefully remove the lemongrass stems.
- Make a slurry with water and cornstarch.
- Add cornstarch slurry to boiling stew and stir in.
- Turn heat back down and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Before serving add in cabbage.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro for extra aromatics.