|4||bag||baby spinach leaves, 6 oz.|
|2||Tablespoon||butter (1/4 stick)|
|1⁄4||Cup||all purpose flour|
|1 1⁄4||Cup||whole milk|
|1⁄4||Cup||heavy whipping cream|
| ||Each||grated fresh parmesan or romano, as needed|
- Bring 1/4 cup water to boil in large pot.
- Add half of spinach to pot; toss until wilted but still bright green, about 3 minutes.
- Add remaining spinach and toss until just wilted.
- Transfer spinach to strainer set over large bowl.
- Press on spinach to release all liquid.
- Transfer spinach to work surface; coarsely chop.
- Spinach may be prepared 1 day in advance.
- Cover and refrigerate spinach if you are preparing early.
- Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, bay leaf and peppercorns; sauté‚ until onions is soft but not brown, about 3 minutes.
- Whisk in flour and salt.
- Cook until mixture is pale gold and has nutty aroma, whisking constantly, about 3 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in milk.
- Boil until thick, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes.
- Strain sauce in medium bowl.
- In a heavy medium saucepan, heat whipping cream over medium heat until just simmering.
- Whisk in flour until it is smooth and begins to simmer.
- Add spinach and stir until heated through.
- Add a pinch of nutmeg and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Grate in some fresh parmesan or romano cheese.