Chilled Kabocha Squash Soup
A refreshing and delicious recipe capturing the wonderful flavors of fall and kabocha.
|2||stalk||celery, peeled and chopped|
|1||each||large onion, chopped|
|1||Teaspoon||fresh ginger, grated|
|2||Cup||Kabocha peeled, seeded, and diced (Peel very carefully with a sharp peeler then cut in half and dice)|
|1||Quart||chicken stock or chicken broth|
|each||salt and white pepper to taste|
- In a large saucepan, sauté celery, onions, garlic, and ginger in butter until soft.
- Add squash and turmeric and sauté for 2 minutes before adding sake and mirin.
- Add chicken stock and bring to boil.
- Add cream, lower heat and reduce by one third, making sure to check the consistency while reducing.
- Blend the soup in a blender or with an immersion blender. If using a blender, be sure to keep the air cap open and use the pulse action so that you don’t get burned.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Strain through a medium fine sieve.
- Refrigerate soup and serve chilled, garnish with rice crackers.