Corned Beef & Cabbage
A St. Patrick's Day classic that's become a local favorite!
|5||Pound||Corned Brisket of Beef|
|6||each||peppercorns or packaged pickling spices from brisket|
|3||each||carrots, peeled and quartered|
|3||each||onions, peeled and quartered|
|1||each||medium-sized green cabbage, quartered or cut in wedges|
|1 1⁄2||Cup||sour cream|
|each||milk or cream as needed|
- Placed the corned beef in a pan with the peppercorns or pickling spices (normally included in the corned beef packaging) and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 hours or until tender when pierced with a fork, skimming occasionally.
- During the last hour, add the carrots and onions.
- During the last 15 minutes, add the cabbage.
- Place the brisket on a cutting board and slice across the grain.
- Place on a serving platter and ladle some of the cooking liquid over the meat. Transfer vegetables to a platter and brush the vegetables with the melted butter.
- Serve with boiled parsley potatoes or rice or both, cooked separately.
- Other accompaniments: sea salt, creamy horseradish and Dijon mustard.
- Combine the sour cream and horseradish.
- Season with salt.
- Adjust consistency with milk.
- More or less horseradish can be added to personal preference.