Curry Braised Lamb Shanks
An exotic explosion of flavors, Chef Keoni Chang's recipe for lamb shanks will have your guests asking for more!
|1||each||medium onion, diced|
|2||stalk||lemongrass, trimmed and smashed|
|4||leaf||Kaffir lime leaves|
|1||piece(s)||1" ginger, smashed|
|3||Tablespoon||curry powder or red curry paste|
|3||Quart||beef or lamb stock|
|each||salt and pepper to taste|
- In a large stock pot, heat sesame oil on medium high heat.
- Flour lamb shanks and brown in oil.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, ginger, curry powder, garlic and bay leaves.
- Stir until lamb shanks are well coated with seasonings.
- Add beef or lamb stock, star anise and coconut milk.
- Turn heat to medium low and cover.
- Braise shanks for 1 ½ hours, stirring occasionally. Shanks are done when meat is fork tender, starts to fall from the bones, and the braising liquid thickens to a gravy-like consistency.
- Remove lemongrass, ginger, bay leaves and star anise.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve lamb shanks with the curry sauce over rice or vegetable summer roll.
A small amount of lime zest may be substituted if kaffir lime leaves are not available.