Eggplant Stuffed with Shrimp
A delicious complementary dish for a Chinese style meal
|1⁄8||Cup||water chestnuts, chopped|
|1⁄4||Cup||green onions, chopped|
|1⁄4||Pound||raw shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped into a paste|
|1||Tablespoon||Chinese white wine or sake|
|1||Teaspoon||dark soy sauce|
|2||Teaspoon||Chinese wine or Sake|
|1||Pinch||white or black pepper|
|2||Each||thin Chinese egglant (8 inches long)|
|2 1⁄2||Tablespoon||tapioca flour|
|3||Tablespoon||green onions, sliced|
- Place all of the filling ingredients (1/8 cup water chestnuts, chopped
1/4 cup green onions, chopped, 1/4 lb. raw shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped into a paste, 2 tsp. sesame oil, 1 tsp ginger, chopped, 1 tbl. Chinese white wine or sake, 1 tsp. sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 egg white, 1 tbl. tapioca flour or cornstarch) into a bowl and mix together evenly. Reserve.
- Do not peel the eggplant. Slice each eggplant along its length in the following manner: diagonally slice off the end, then continue to slice diagonally in 1/3 inch intervals. On the second 1/3 inch interval, slice all the way through, creating a slit pocket. Continue with the rest of the pieces.
- Sprinkle each eggplant pocket with some tapioca flour and place 1 tbl. of filling in the pocket.
- Pack and smooth with your fingers. Repeat with remaining pieces.
- In a skillet, heat half the peanut oil to medium high heat.
- Place 8 pieces of the stuffed eggplant flat side down in the oil and fry to 4 minutes until brown. Repeat on the other side.
- Place on a skillet and keep warm.
- Finish the other 8 pieces.
- In the same pan, add in the ingredients for the sauce (2 tbl. oyster sauce, 1 tsp. dark soy sauce, 2 tsp. Chinese white wine or sake, 1 tsp. sugar, Pinch of white or black pepper, 3/4 chicken broth) and bring to a boil.
- Reduce slightly and then neatly pour over the eggplant.
- Garnish with sliced green onions.