Quick, but oh so delicious
|Recipe Categories||Pasta |
|3⁄4||Pound||lean ground beef, 80% lean or better|
|1⁄2||Pound||raw Italian sausage, casings removed|
|1||each||26 oz. jar thick spaghetti or marinara sauce (Newman's Own recommended)|
|2||Cup||water or tomato juice|
|1⁄2||Cup||fresh basil, chopped|
|1||Pound||lasagna noodles, uncooked|
|1||each||15 oz. cotnainer part-skim ricotta cheese|
|1||Pound||mozzarella cheese (low moisture), coarsely grated|
|1||Cup||grated Parmesan cheese|
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Sauté beef and sausage in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through, breaking up meats with back of spoon, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer meats to bowl.
- Drain out the fat.
- Note: You may use 1 lb. ground turkey instead of the beef and sausage.
- Combine spaghetti sauce, water or tomato juice and basil in large bowl.
- Spread 1 cup of sauce mixture in bottom of 13" x 9" x 2" glass baking dish.
- Arrange 1/3 of uncooked noodles, slightly overlapping if necessary, atop sauce.
- Spread half of ricotta over noodles.
- Sprinkle with half of mozzarella cheese, half of meat mixture and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Top with 1 1/2 cups sauce.
- Repeat layering with noodles, ricotta, mozzarella, meats and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Arrange remaining uncooked noodles over.
- Add remaining sauce covering lasagna completely.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan.
- Cover tightly with heavy-duty foil.
- Place on baking sheet.
- Bake until noodles are tender and lasagna is heated though, about 1/2 hour.
- Uncover; and place back in oven for 1/2 hour to heat through and let the top brown slightly.
- Remove from oven, let stand 15 minutes.
- Cut lasagna into squares and serve.
- This dish can be made, portioned, and then frozen in small freezer proof containers.
- Remove and reheat in the microwave until hot as needed.
- Or this dish may be prepared one day ahead.
- Re-warm covered in 350° oven about 45 minutes.