Grilled Tandoori Style Chicken
Our version of an Indian favorite!
|2||Cup||plain whole-milk yogurt|
|3||Tablespoon||fresh lemon juice|
|3||Tablespoon||fresh ginger, peeled, minced|
|4||each||garlic cloves, minced|
|1 1⁄2||Teaspoon||ground coriander|
|1 1⁄2||Teaspoon||ground turmeric|
|1⁄2||Teaspoon||ground black pepper|
|8||each||skinless chicken leg-thigh pieces|
|1||each||small red onion, thinly sliced crosswise, separated into rings|
|1⁄4||Cup||fresh cilantro, chopped|
- Blend 1 cup yogurt and the next 9 ingredients listed above in a processor until smooth.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- Mix in remaining 1 cup of yogurt.
- Add chicken and mix to thoroughly coat chicken with marinade.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat).
- clean the grates well and oil them.
- Mix chicken to ensure it is coated well with marinade.
- Place marinated chicken on barbecue.
- Grill chicken until just cooked though, about 12 minutes per side.
- During the last 2 minutes of cooking, occasionally baste chicken with butter.
- Transfer chicken to platter.
- Top with onion and cilantro and serve.
This recipe adapts traditional cooking for a barbecue. The chicken needs to marinate overnight, so start this one day ahead.