A hearty side dish, perfect for brunch!
|2||each||Frozen 9" pie crusts|
|3||Tablespoon||extra virgin olive oil|
|2||each||Medium red onions, sliced|
|1||Pound||Smoked ham, cubed|
|2||Cup||Fresh spinach, cleaned|
|3||Cup||Heavy cream or Half & Half|
|1⁄2||Teaspoon||freshly ground pepper|
|2||each||Bunches asparagus (about 1 lb. each), stems trimmed|
|4||Ounce||Parmesan cheese, shaved with a peeler|
|2||each||Handfuls fresh flat-leaf parsley, hand-torn|
|1||each||Handful fresh mint, hand-torn|
|1||each||Handful fresh dill, hand-torn|
|1||each||extra virgin olive oil, as needed|
|1||each||Kosher salt and black pepper|
For Ham, Spinach and Onion Quiche
- To make the filling, heat a skillet over medium-low heat, coat the pan with oil, and add the onions.
- Slowly cook the onions, stirring until they caramelize and release their natural sugars.
- Toss in the ham and spinach, cook and stir for about 3 minutes to warm them through.
- Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs until frothy and pour in the cream; season with pepper.
- Arrange the caramelized onions, spinach and ham over the bottom of each crust and carefully pour in the cream and egg mixture; the filling should be about a ½-inch from the top of the crust.
- Bake at 350° for about 50 minutes or until filling is set.
- Quiche may look puffy and jiggle slightly.
- Remove to a wire rack and let cool. In the meantime, make the asparagus salad.
- To prepare the asparagus salad, blanch the asparagus in a large pot of boiling salted water for 4 minutes or until they are just crisp-tender.
- Drain the asparagus, transfer to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking, and drain well.
- Slice the asparagus into ½-inch pieces and put them in a mixing bowl.
- Add the Parmesan and herbs, drizzle the herb and asparagus salad with olive oil, a squeeze of lemon juice, season with salt and pepper. Toss gently to combine.
- Let the quiche set for at least an hour. Slice into wedges and serve with asparagus salad.