Wonderfully delicious and oh so flavorful!
|1||each||organic whole fryer, 1-3 lb.|
| ||Each||salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|1||each||lemon, cut into quarters|
|1⁄4||Cup||organic extra virgin olive oil|
|1⁄2||Cup||organic yellow onion, diced|
|1⁄4||Cup||organic celery, diced|
|1⁄4||Cup||organic carrots, diced|
|1||Tablespoon||organic all purpose flour|
|1 1⁄2||Cup||organic chicken broth|
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Dry off the chicken with a paper towel and season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place the rosemary and lemon into the cavity of the bird.
- Rub the skin with oil and place breast side up in a flame proof roasting pan.
- Roast, basting occasionally with the accumulated pan juices or oil, for 40 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven, lift out the bird, and scatter the onion, celery and carrots on the bottom of the pan, then replace the bird.
- Continue roasting for 30-40 minutes until instant read thermometer reads 170°.
- Remove the chicken from the rack and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the roasting pan on the stove over medium high heat and cook the vegetables until browned.
- Pour out the fat then add the flour.
- Cook, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the chicken broth until completely smooth.
- Simmer the gravy until it reaches a sauce like consistency, about 10-12 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Strain the gravy through a fine mesh sieve.
- Carve the chicken and serve with pan gravy.