Local Style Beef Stew
A hearty local favorite that will warm your tummy!
|1||each||medium sized round onion, chopped|
|3||each||medium sized carrots, peeled and chopped|
|2||each||medium sized potatoes, peeled and chopped|
|1||each||15 oz. can diced tomatoes|
|1||each||15 oz. can tomato sauce|
|each||salt and pepper to taste|
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large stock pot.
- Working in small batches, brown the beef.
- When the meat is browned, add 1 medium sized chopped onion and brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the flour and continue to cook 1 minute.
- Add the 2 pounds of browned beef to the pot.
- Season to taste with salt and coarse ground black pepper. Add in the bayleaf.
- Add water so that the browned beef is just covered. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to medium/low. Simmer covered for 2 hours.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, celery, diced tomato and tomato sauce and simmer until the vegetables are tender.