A delicious recipe for this Local Favorite!
|4||Pound||Oxtail, cut into pieces|
|5||each||whole star anise|
|4||Slice||ginger, 1/8 inch thick, smashed|
|3||piece(s)||dried orange peel|
|1||Cup||shelled and skinned raw peanuts|
|10||each||dry shitake, rehydrated and cut in half|
|each||Hawaiian salt to taste|
|1||Bunch||Chinese mustard cabbage, cut into 1" - 1 1/2" sections|
|each||Chinese parsley to garnish|
- Place oxtail in a pot and cover with cold water.
- Bring water up to a boil. Keep skimming off impurities while the water comes to a boil. When the water boils, dump the water.
- Put the pot back on stove and cover with chicken broth approximately 2 inches above oxtail. If you need more liquid, add water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Add in star anise, ginger and orange peel. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Add peanuts and shitake mushrooms. Simmer for another 1 - 1½ hours, or until oxtail is tender.
- Continue to skim off ’scum’ from broth.
- Add Hawaiian salt to taste.
- Add in Chinese mustard cabbage.
- Garnish with Chinese parsley.
Serve with ground ginger and shoyu as a condiment.