Portuguese Sweet Bread French Toast
A sweet custardy treat that's an irresistible local breakfast favorite!
|1⁄2||Teaspoon||pure vanilla extract|
|8||Slice||Sweet bread loaf, 3/4" thick|
|each||Pure Maple syrup|
|each||Lilikoi curd or jam (optional)|
|each||sifted powdered sugar (optional)|
|each||fresh berries (optional)|
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, honey, and salt. Soak 4 slices in the egg mixture for 2 minutes on each side.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter large saute pan over medium heat. Add the soaked bread and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until nicely browned. Place the cooked sweet bread toast on a sheet pan.
- Repeat the soaking and frying with the last 4 slices, adding butter. Place the sheet pan in the oven and bake for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with maple syrup, lilikoi curd, powdered sugar and berries.