Roasted Pumpkin with Green Beans and Chicken
A hearty home cooked dish just in time for the fall
|2||Pound||pumpkin or acorn squash|
|1||Pound||boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into ½ inch strips|
|1||Tablespoon||fresh ginger, grated|
|1||Pound||green beans or Chinese peas, trimmed|
|2||Tablespoon||sherry vinegar or rice wine vinegar|
|10||leaf||basil, torn or sliced|
|1⁄4||each||of lemon or lime|
|2||Tablespoon||green onions, sliced|
- Preheat oven to 425˚.
- Prepare the pumpkin. Peel it, cut it in half lengthwise, seed it, and cut it diagonally into 1’’ chunks.
- Toss the pumpkin with the oil, salt, and pepper.
- Place on a baking pan and bake for 30-40 minutes, until the pumpkin is tender.
- When there are about 10 minutes left on the baking of the pumpkin, heat a wok or skillet to medium high.
- Add in half of the butter and let it melt.
- When the butter begins to bubble and lightly brown, add in the chicken and brown it. (Make sure that the pan is not overcrowded or the chicken will steam.)
- Cook for about 4 minutes.
- Add in the sugar, ginger, fish sauce, and garlic.
- Cook 1 minute.
- Add in green beans, sherry vinegar, and soy sauce.
- Allow the steam from the sauce to cook the beans (about 3 minutes).
- Add in basil leaves, chili flakes, and the second half of the butter. Stir to melt butter in.
- Squeeze in the juice from the lemon or lime.
- Remove pumpkin from the oven.
- Add pumpkin to the beans and chicken.
- Serve in a platter and sprinkle with green onions.