Sesame King Crab Tempura
Great as an appetizer or entrée
|3||Teaspoon||fresh lime juice|
|1||Cup||all purpose flour|
|1⁄4||Cup||sesame seeds (you can mix black and white for visual effect)|
|1||Cup||cold beer (not dark)|
|3⁄4||Pound||3-4" segments of Alaskan King Crab out of shell (about 6-8)|
- Heat 2" of oil in a 4-quart heavy pot over moderate heat until a deep fat thermometer registers 365°.
- While oil is heating, make dipping sauce by stirring together soy sauce, lime juice, and sugar until sugar is dissolved.
- Whisk together flour, sesame seeds and cold beer until batter is smooth.
- Toss about 3-4 pieces of crab in batter until coated.
- Add to oil one at a time (to keep separate) and fry, turning, until golden, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Transfer with tongs to paper towels to drain and sprinkle salt to taste.
- Coat and fry remaining pieces of crab in same manner.
- Serve crab with dipping sauce.