Singapore Style Chili Crab
A wonderful exotic dish that's sweet, spicy, and delicious!
|2||Each||whole cooked Dungeness crabs|
|2||Tablespoon||hot chili paste (sriracha)|
|3||Tablespoon||rice wine vinegar|
|2||Tablespoon||dark brown sugar|
|1||piece(s)||ginger (approx. 1 inch), peeled and finely minced|
|1||Cup||Maui or sweet onion, finely minced|
|4||Clove||garlic, finely minced|
|1||each||egg yolk, beaten|
|2||Tablespoon||chopped fresh green onions, plus more for garnish|
- Pull the main shell off the crab and discard it.
- Remove the gray gills and the soft insides.
- Cut the body in half and then cut between each leg.
- Crack the legs and claws with the back of the knife or a zhammer and set aside.
- In a bowl mix the chili paste, tomato sauce, shoyu, rice wine vinegar, and brown sugar; thin it with ¼ cup water and set aside.
- Pour the oil into a wok or large skillet over high heat.
- Add the ginger, garlic, and onion and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the crab and stir-fry for another minute.
- Pour in the sauce and continue cooking, stirring often, until the crab has absorbed the sauce.
- Take the cornstarch and add in water to make a paste.
- Thicken the sauce with the cornstarch.
- Add in the egg yolk and continue to stir.
- Put onto a platter and garnish with green onions.