Turkey Pot Pie with Cheddar Biscuit Crust
An unbelievable top to a tasty pot pie
|1||each||medium onion, coarsely chopped|
|2||each||large carrots, cut into 1/2" pieces|
|2||each||celery ribs, cut into 1/2" pieces|
|1||Teaspoon||fresh thyme, chopped or 1/2 tsp. dry thyme|
|1⁄4||Cup||all purpose flour|
|3 1⁄2||Cup||low sodium chicken broth or turkey broth made from turkey carcass|
|4||Cup||roast turkey meat, cut into 1/2" pieces|
|1||each||frozen baby peas, thawed (10 oz. pkg)|
|1||each||container ready made biscuit dough|
|4||Ounce||cheddar cheese, grated|
|2||Ounce||parmesan cheese, grated|
|Each||fresh cracked black pepper|
- Cook onion, carrots, celery, thyme, butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a 12" wide shallow pot (3-4 quarts), covered, over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are almost tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook, uncovered, stirring, until tender, 5-7 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in broth, scraping up any brown bits, and bring to a boil, then simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in turkey, peas and salt and pepper to taste.
- Take pot off heat and set aside.
- Reheat over low heat just before topping with biscuit crust.
- Preheat oven to 400° with rack in middle.
- Place filling into an oven safe casserole dish, approximately 9"x 13" in size.
- Remove the biscuit dough from the container.
- Lightly incorporate the cheese into the dough.
- Drop biscuit dough onto filling in 8 large mounds, leaving spaces between biscuits.
- Crack pepper onto the biscuit dough.
- Bake uncovered, until biscuits are puffed and golden brown and filling is bubbling, 35-40 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.