Chef Keoni's Buttermilk Fried Chicken, Panzanella and Mixed Berry Shortcake recipe.
Join us every Wednesday from 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm on Zoom as he demonstrates how to make delicious recipes. He’ll share tips, tricks and step-by-step instructions and you’ll be able to pick his brain, ask questions and get his answers in real time too.
Ingredients (Serves 4) and Directions:
Please note that directions are approximate and Chef Keoni may tweak the instructional steps during class. Please use this as a guide.
Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- 1 Whole Chicken Fryer
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup milk combined with 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 Tablespoon Salt
- Pepper to taste
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- Break the chicken up into 6 pieces. 2 breasts, 2 thighs, 2 drumsticks.
- Season with salt and pepper and marinate in the buttermilk for at least 1 hour, up to 24 hours.
- Combine the flour with the spices.
- Place the oil in a heavy gauge pan so the depth of oil is 1 ½-2 inches and there is 2-3 inches from the top of the oil to the top of the pan. Place on medium high heat.
- Take the chicken and dredge in the seasoned flour once to coat, then back into the buttermilk, and once more in the seasoned flour. The chicken should be nicely coated. Do this with all pieces.
- Test the oil. Drop a few specks of flour in the pan and they should sizzle nicely.
- When the oil is ready, carefully place the chicken pieces in the oil. There should be at least ½ inch of space between pieces of chicken. Let the pieces cook until golden brown, approx. 6 minutes. Turn over and repeat for 6 more minutes. The chicken is cooked when the meat, pierced by a fork, has juices that run clear.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- ½ loaf French bread, diced into 1 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons + 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 container Ho Farms Family Tomatoes halved (or your favorite tomato), cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 red onion, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, shredded
- 1 small Japanese cucumber, seeded and sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Toss the French bread with the 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, garlic and parsley. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 Degrees until golden (approximately 15 minutes). Reserve.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mustard and lemon juice, salt and pepper and mix well. Whisk in the 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil. Adjust for seasoning.
- Add the remaining ingredients into the bowl along with the croutons. Toss well. Adjust seasoning and serve.
Mixed Berry Shortcake
- 1/2 pound strawberries, de-stemmed and quartered
- 1 container of blueberries
- 1-1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 splash of Gran Marnier, Cointreau or Triple Sec
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, or your favorite whipped topping
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 slices of corn bread, pound cake or your favorite biscuit
- Combine the berries, ½ teaspoon sugar and liqueur. Reserve.
- Using a whisk and large chilled bowl, beat the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Stir in the remaining sugar and vanilla extract. Reserve.
- To serve, place a slice of corn bread on a plate. Top with the berry mixture. Top berries with a dollop of whipped cream.
Your ingredients are just a click away!
Click here to shop online for this recipe with
Tune in to Home Cooking with Foodland every Wednesday from 5:00 – 6:00 pm.
Click here to register.