Join Chef Keoni in his home kitchen as he demonstrates how to make Nori Wrapped Chicken and Shoyu Pork and Eggplant.
Ingredients and Instructions (Serves 4):
Nori Wrapped Chicken
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch or mochiko flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons shoyu
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 sheets of nori, each sheet cut into fourths
- oil for frying
- In a bowl, mix together mochiko batter ingredients.
- Marinate chicken for 5 hours or overnight in refrigerator.
- When ready to cook, preheat oil (about 1/2 inch deep) to medium heat, approximately 325 degrees.
- Take a piece of chicken, wrap it with a strip of nori and place in the oil. Repeat until the pan is filled.
- Cook for 4 minutes and turn, then cook for 4 more minutes. Chicken is done at 175 degrees F.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Repeat with remaining chicken. If oil starts to get dirty, strain before frying more chicken.
Shoyu Pork Eggplant
- 4 Japanese Eggplant
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 pound pork butt cut into strips
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger, smashed
- 2 cups dashi
- 1 cup shoyu
- 1⁄2 cup mirin
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup green onions (thinly sliced)
- Clean the eggplant and trim off the ends.
- Slice the eggplant on a bias into 2 inch pieces.
- In a 4 quart pot, over medium heat the oil and then brown the pork.
- Fry the eggplant in oil until the skins wilt.
- Add ginger, dashi, shoyu, sugar and mirin then bring to a boil.
- Cover pan and lower heat to simmer. Simmer for 15- 20 minutes.
- Adjust flavors with mirin and shoyu and remove from heat.
- Before serving, garnish with green onions.
Note: Directions are meant as a general guide. Chef Keoni may improvise slightly during class.
Your ingredients are just a click away!
Click here to shop online for this recipe with
Tune in to Home Cooking with Foodland every Wednesday from 5:00 – 6:00 pm.
Click here to register.