Join Chef Keoni in his home kitchen as he demonstrates how to make Grilled Flank Steak, Creamy Smashed Cucumbers and Sangria.
Ingredients and Instructions (Serves 4):
Grilled Flank Steak
- 1-1/2 pounds flank steak, or your favorite cut of steak
- Ala'e or coarse sea salt, as needed
- Garlic powder, as needed
- Onion powder, as needed
- Fresh ground pepper, as needed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Prepare your grill according to fuel type, gas or wood.
- Season the steak with salt, garlic powder, onion, pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
- Grill to desired temp. 120 for medium rare.
- Allow the steak to rest 5-10 minutes. Slice on a bias, against the grain. Serve.
Smashed Cucumber Salad with Creamy Sesame Dressing
- 3 Japanese cucumbers, look for the smaller skinny ones
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar, or more to taste
- 1 dash sesame oil
- 1 dollop mayonnaise
- 1 dash toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon sliced green onions
- Using a rolling pin or similar, smash the cucumbers just enough to bruise them.
- Break the cucumber up into bite size pieces. Place in a mixing bowl.
- Add in the remaining ingredients, and toss.
- Adjust seasoning to preference.
Optional: garnish with more sesame seeds and sliced green onions.
Basic Red Wine Sangria
- 1 bottle good quality red wine
- 1/3 cup triple sec, gran marnier or cointreau
- 1 cup brandy
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 lime, sliced
- 1 apple, sliced
- 1 cup berries, your choice
- Combine ingredients and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Serve in glasses with some of the fruit.
Note: Directions are meant as a general guide. Chef Keoni may improvise slightly during class.
Your ingredients are just a click away!
Click here to shop online for this recipe with
Tune in to Home Cooking with Foodland every first and third Wednesday of the month from 5:00 – 6:00 pm.
Click here to register.