Join Chef Keoni in his home kitchen as he demonstrates how to make Blackened Ahi Caesar Salad.
Ingredients and Instructions (Serves 4):
- 1/2 pound sashimi grade ahi block
- 1/2 cup blackening spice, your favorite brand (ex: Paul Prudhomme brand)
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 egg yolk, pasteurized
- 1 anchovy fillet, or 1/2 tablespoon anchovy paste
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 dash of Tabasco sauce
- 1 dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice only
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil or 50/50 blend olive oil and extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small romaine heart (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1⁄2 cup croutons, homemade or your favorite
- 1⁄4 cup fresh grated parmesan
- Slather the ahi with the softened butter.
- Dredge it in the blackening spice to evenly coat.
- Heat a saute pan to high heat. Cast iron works well.
- When the pan is really hot, lay the ahi into the pan and let it sear. When the spice is blackened, flip. This should take 30 seconds or so per side. Remove and reserve.
- In a large salad bowl, add in the yolk, garlic, dijon mustard, anchovy, salt, pepper, tabasco and worcestershire sauce and lemon. Whisk it to blend.
- While whisking, slowly add in the olive oil in a thin stream. You will see it emulsify into the egg mixture. Continue to slowly add in the oil until it is incorporated.
- Season with salt and pepper. You may adjust the consistency with more lemon juice or water.
- Add in the romaine and using a fork and spoon, toss to dress.
- Place the salad on plates or a serving platter.
- Garnish with the croutons and cheese.
- Slice the Ahi and shingle over the salad. Serve.
Note: Directions are meant as a general guide. Chef Keoni may improvise slightly during class.
Your ingredients are just a click away!
Click here to shop online for this recipe with
Tune in to Home Cooking with Foodland every Wednesday from 5:00 – 6:00 pm.
Click here to register.