Join Chef Keoni in his home kitchen as he demonstrates how to make Okinawan Sweet Potato Mash with Toasted Marshmallow Fluff and Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Blue Cheese.
Ingredients and Instructions (Serves 4):
Okinawan Sweet Potato Mash with Toasted Marshmallow Fluff
- 2 lbs. Okinawan sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1-1/2 cups coconut milk, plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup marshmallow fluff
- 1/4 cup ginger senbei wafers
- Simmer sweet potatoes in water until very tender. Drain.
- Mash or whip, gradually incorporating the coconut milk until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Stir in the brown sugar.
- Place the mash into an ovenproof casserole dish.
- Top with the marshmallow fluff. Toast on the broiler setting or torch with a butane torch.
- Sprinkle with crushed senbei.
Caramelized Brussels Sprouts, Bacon and Blue Cheese
- 1/4 pound high quality thick cut bacon, cut into 1/2 inch dices (more if you like)
- 2 lbs. Brussels sprouts, cleaned and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1 squeeze of fresh lemon
- 1 pinch salt
- Fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- Heat a heavy gauge pan to medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until the bacon is just crisp. Remove bacon.
- Add in the Brussels sprouts. Cook on medium high, tossing every few minutes until the Brussels sprouts are golden and tender.
- Add in the squeeze of lemon, salt and pepper and toss in the sprigs of thyme.
- Place the Brussels sprouts in a serving platter and sprinkle with the blue cheese.
Notes: Directions are meant as a general guide. Chef Keoni may improvise slightly during class.
Your ingredients are just a click away!
Click here to shop online for this recipe with
Tune in to Home Cooking with Foodland every first and third Wednesday of the month from 5:00 – 6:00 pm.
Click here to register.