Clams with Chorizo, Tomatoes & Saffron Broth
|1⁄2||Cup||dry white wine, sauvignon blanc, chardonnay|
|1⁄2||Teaspoon||crushed saffron threads|
|1||Cup||extra-virgin olive oil|
|4||Pound||manila clams, scrubbed|
|1⁄2||Pound||Spanish chorizo, sliced 1/8 inch|
|1 1⁄2||Cup||cocktail tomatoes (about one 16-ounce basket), halved|
|2||each||large shallots, thinly sliced|
|1||Tablespoon||plus 2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped|
|2||Tablespoon||fresh lemon juice|
|4||each||6 x 4-inch sourdough bread slices, cut into thirds|
|1⁄2||Cup||chopped fresh Italian parsley|
| ||each||lemon wedges|
- Place wine and saffron in heavy large pot over low heat. Cook 1 minute to blend flavors.
- Remove from heat; let cool.
- Whisk in olive oil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat broiler.
- Add clams, chorizo, tomatoes, shallots and 1 tablespoon chopped garlic to vinaigrette in pot.
- Cover and cook over high heat until clams open, about 8 minutes (discard any clams that do not open).
- Remove pot from heat. Using tongs, arrange clams and chorizo in large serving bowl.
- Add lemon juice to saffron-tomato broth pot.
- Meanwhile, brush sourdough bread slices lightly with olive oil.
- Rub bread with remaining 2 teaspoons garlic.
- Broil bread until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle clams with chopped parsley.
- Pour saffron-tomato broth over clams, and stir in the butter.
- Garnish with sourdough toasts and lemon wedges and serve.