Beer Battered Fish Sticks
|1||each||bottle brown beer, cold|
|1 1⁄2||Pound||firm-fleshed whitefish (mahi mahi, swordfish, cod, pollack), cut into 1 oz. strips|
| ||Each||cornstarch, for dredging|
| ||Each||vegetable oil for frying|
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne pepper, garlic and onion powder until evenly mixed.
- Whisk in the beer until the batter is completely smooth and free of lumps.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes to rest (Batter can be made up to 1 hour ahead of time).
- Heat oil to 350°.
- Lightly dredge fish strips in cornstarch, shake off excess cornstarch.
- Working in small batches, dip the fish into batter and immerse into hot oil.
- When the batter is set, turn the pieces of fish over and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Drain the fish on a roasting rack.
- Serve with malt vinegar or tartar sauce and french fries or chips.