Spicy Pumpkin Chili
|5||each||tomatillos, outer husk removed|
|6||each||chipotle chilies, canned|
|1||each||medium-size sweet green pepper, cored, seeded and diced 1/2 inch|
|1||each||medium-size sweet red pepper, cored, seeded and diced 1/2 inch|
|1||each||medium onion, finely sliced|
|4||Cup||peeled and cubed 3/4 inch kabocha pumpkin or butternut squash|
|1||Can||(15.5 ounces) black beans with water (do not drain)|
|1||Cup||fresh corn kernels or frozen white corn kernels|
|1⁄4||Cup||water or vegetable stock|
- Preheat a thick gauge skillet on high, lay the tomatoes, garlic, tomatillos. Allow them to char on one side. Turn over and allow to char on the other side. Cool.
- Peel the garlic and remove the stems from the tomatoes and tomatillos. Combine with the chipotle and blend until smooth but still slightly chunky.
- Heat oil in 4-quart pot over medium heat. Add chili powder, green and red peppers and onions; saute 5 minutes.
- Add pumpkin, oregano and ground red pepper; saute for 5 minutes.
- Stir in corn, black beans, salt and water; cook for 15 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender but not mushy.