Sake and Ginger Poached Apples in Crisp Phyllo Cups
|2||Cup||sake (good quality)|
|1||piece(s)||1" piece ginger, smashed|
|1||Each||vanilla bean, scraped|
|3||each||Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut in half lengthwise|
| ||Each||Phyllo dough|
|6||Each||paper muffin cups|
| ||Each||rice grains as needed|
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, bring all poaching ingredients to a gentle simmer.
- Place apples in poaching liquid and cook gently for approximately 20 minutes or just until tender (check with a fork).
- Remove apples from liquid carefully with a slotted spoon.
- Turn the heat up and reduce the poaching liquid by three-quarters.
- Combine cornstarch with cold water.
- Using a whisk, add cornstarch mixture to the poaching liquid.
- Allow to cook for 5 minutes and strain liquid. Reserve and keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 350˚.
- Thaw phyllo dough in refrigerator.
- Carefully roll out dough.
- Separate 6 half sheets, brush each sheet lightly with butter and sprinkle with 1 tbl. of sugar.
- Continue the process until all six layers have been completed into one thick sheet of phyllo.
- Cut the phyllo into six 3’’ x 3’’ squares.
- Lay out the phyllo squares over a muffin pan.
- Press the phyllo into the cups.
- Allow the excess to stick out above the cup.
- Place a paper muffin cup into the phyllo and fill with rice. Continue process until all six cups are finished.
- Bake cups for 15 minutes until edges are golden brown.
- Carefully remove rice from the phyllo cups and finish baking in the oven for about 10 more minutes until the cups are completely golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool slightly.
- Cut each half of apple into 6 large pieces. Place 3 pieces of apple in each phyllo cup and spoon the reserved poaching liquid over the apples.