Blue Cheese Potato Gratin
|2||Pound||russet potatoes (about 4)|
|1⁄4||Pound||Maytag blue cheese, crumbled (1 cup)|
|1⁄4||Pound||parmesan cheese, finely shredded (1 cup)|
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Peel potatoes and slice paper-thin crosswise (slightly less than 1/16" thick) or as thin as you can manage.
- Transfer spoon to a lightly oiled 3-quart shallow baking dish, spreading them in an even layer, then sprinkle evenly with one third of each cheese and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Make 1 more layer each of potatoes, cheeses and seasoning in same manner, then top with remaining potatoes and remaining cheeses (Do not season top layer).
- Pour cream evenly over top, pressing evenly to make sure the cream gets into all pieces and layers of the dish.
- Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake in middle of oven for 45 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 400°, then remove foil and bake until top is golden brown, 12-15 minutes more.
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- If blue cheese is not to your preference, you can replace it with more parmesan or romano cheese.