3⁄4 cupsall-purpose flour
2fresh ahi (about 1 1/2-2lbs).), cut into an block approx. 1 ½ inch by 1 inch, 6 to 8 inches long
4sheets of nori
1 cuppanko breadcrumbs
headerSoy Mustard Mayo
2 tablespoonscolemans dry mustard rehydrated to a paste
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, egg, water and add salt and pepper to taste.
Soy Mustard Mayo
- In a small bowl, combine mayo, mustard and shoyu and adjust to taste.
Ahi Katsu preparation
- In a wok or a deep fryer, preheat the oil to 375°F.
- Wrap each piece of ‘ahi with two sheets of fresh nori, and then dip them into the tempura batter and coat with panko breadcrumbs.
- Fry the fish to a golden brown (about 30 to 45 seconds) and cut into 8 to 10 ¼-inch-thick pieces. Fry less for more rare slices.