Arroz con Gandules (Gandule Rice)
2 tablespoonsvegetable oil
2 cupslong grain rice
1⁄2 cuponion (diced 1/4 inch)
1⁄4 cupstuffed green olives
1 teaspoonground annatto
1 packageSazon (Goya brand or similar)
1 cupTomato Sauce
2 cupschicken stock
1⁄2 cupcilantro leaves (chopped)
1 can15 oz, gandules verdes (green pigeon peas with juice)
- Preheat an 8 quart thick gauge pot on medium high heat.
- Add in the vegetable oil, rice, white onion.
- Cook until the onions are translucent. Add in the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a very slow simmer.
- Cover and cook for 18 minutes or until rice is cooked.