Bittersweet Chocolate Cake
10 ouncesbittersweet chocolate, cut into pieces
1 cupunsalted butter
1⁄4 cupcocoa, sifted (of good quality)
1 cupheavy whipping cream
1 poundbittersweet chocolate, cut into pieces
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter a 9" baking pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a pot, melt 10 ounces of bittersweet chocolate with butter.
- Using a mixer, whip eggs with sugar until the mixture turns pale yellow and starts to hold its shape.
- Stir in melted chocolate and cocoa until combined.
- Pour batter into baking pan.
- Place the baking pan in another pan filled partially with warm water and place in the oven on the middle rack.
- Bake the cake for approximately 30-35 minutes, or until the cake is just set. (The cake will look like it is baked, but will still have some movement toward the middle of the pan.)
- Do not over bake.
- Allow the cake to cool for 1 hour before carefully turning out the cake onto an icing rack. (For easy transporting, get a piece of cardboard to turn your cake out onto. This will make it much easier to glaze and plate.)
- Heat 1 cup of heavy cream in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Pour cream over 1 pound of bittersweet chocolate and stir until combined.
- Glaze cake while ganache is still warm.
- Glaze the cake by pouring the ganache in the center of the cake and allow it to run over the cake. This will give it a smooth, finished look.
- Cut and serve with a warm knife. Allow cake to sit at least 15 minutes if it has been refrigerated before serving.
- Garnish with fresh berries.