A flavorful southern favorite!
|1||Package||(7 ounces) black eyed peas|
|3||each||smoked ham hocks|
|2||each||links andouille sausage|
|1||each||red bell pepper, diced|
|2||Teaspoon||dried lemon thyme|
| ||each||salt and pepper|
| ||each||Tabasco sauce|
- Soak black eyed peas in water to cover overnight, drain.
- Cover ham hocks with water and simmer until soft, about 1 hour.
- Remove ham hocks, cool and dice meat. Save cooking stock.
- Slice sausage into ½” pieces.
- Brown bacon and sausage in a sauce pan until bacon is crispy.
- Add celery, bell peppers, onions, garlic, and drained black eyed peas.
- Add the ham hock meat and reserved stock. Stir in the chicken broth and lemon thyme.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer on medium heat for 45 minutes or until the black eyed peas are tender but not mushy.
- Season with salt and pepper and Tabasco sauce to taste.
- Serve with rice and buttery cornbread.