Black Eyed Peas
1 package(7 ounces) black eyed peas
3smoked ham hocks
2links andouille sausage
1 packagebacon, diced
1red bell pepper, diced
3 clovesgarlic, minced
4 cupschicken broth
2 teaspoonsdried lemon thyme
- Soak black eyed peas in water to cover overnight, drain.
- Cover ham hocks with water and simmer until soft, about 1 hour.
- Remove ham hocks, cool and dice meat. Save cooking stock.
- Slice sausage into ½” pieces.
- Brown bacon and sausage in a sauce pan until bacon is crispy.
- Add celery, bell peppers, onions, garlic, and drained black eyed peas.
- Add the ham hock meat and reserved stock. Stir in the chicken broth and lemon thyme.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer on medium heat for 45 minutes or until the black eyed peas are tender but not mushy.
- Season with salt and pepper and Tabasco sauce to taste.
- Serve with rice and buttery cornbread.