To prepare chicken:
- Trim the fat from the chicken thigh and filet them to uniform pieces approximately ½ inch thick.
- Combine the thighs with the salt, white pepper and garlic powder.
- Combine eggs, and milk to make a egg wash. Place in a 9x13 pan.
- Place the flour and panko in separate 9x13 pans.
- Prepare a clean 9x13 pan or half sheet tray to hold the breaded chicken.
- Using the standard breading procedure, start by taking a piece of chicken, lightly dusting it in the flour. Then, place the dusted piece from the flour into the egg wash. Remove from the egg wash and allow the excess to drip off. Place the chicken into the panko and completely cover the top with more of the bread crumbs. Press the chicken well to allow the panko to fully adhere to the chicken.
- Remove the piece and place it on the clean sheet tray. Continue with the rest of the chicken, placing wax paper between the layers. When done, reserve.
To cook chicken:
Place the canola oil into a heavy gauge 10 inch pot and heat to 325 degrees. Fry the chicken in batches until golden, approximately 5 minutes. Test the first piece for doneness. Drain on paper towels. Continue with the rest of the chicken.
When the frying is done, take the chicken and slice into strips. Serve with Katsu sauce.To make sauce:
Combine all ingredients and adjust seasoning to your liking.