Chilled Kabocha Squash Soup
2celery, peeled and chopped
1large onion, chopped
3 clovesgarlic, smashed
1 teaspoonfresh ginger, grated
2 cupskabocha peeled, seeded, and diced (peel very carefully with a sharp peeler then cut in half and dice)
1 teaspoonturmeric powder
1 quartchicken stock or chicken broth
- In a large saucepan, sauté celery, onions, garlic, and ginger in butter until soft.
- Add squash and turmeric and sauté for 2 minutes before adding sake and mirin.
- Add chicken stock and bring to boil.
- Add cream, lower heat and reduce by one third, making sure to check the consistency while reducing.
- Blend the soup in a blender or with an immersion blender. If using a blender, be sure to keep the air cap open and use the pulse action so that you don’t get burned.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Strain through a medium fine sieve.
- Refrigerate soup and serve chilled, garnish with rice crackers.