Chocolate Decadence Cake with Cherries and a Cherry Brandy Sauce
|3||block||butter (4 oz. block)|
|1 1⁄3||Cup||granulated sugar|
|3||each||large egg yolks|
|1||jar||wild cherries in syrup, save the juice|
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Prepare a 6 large cup muffin pan by generously coating the cups with spray grease.
- Chop up the chocolate and butter and melt over a double boiler until completely melted and smooth.
- Remove from the heat and let this cool slightly.
- Combine the sugar, cornstarch and cocoa powder and sift together to remove any lumps.
- Combine the whole eggs, egg yolks and vanilla extract together with the sugar mixture in a small mixing bowl with a whip attachment and whip until light yellow (ribbon stage).
- It should triple in volume at least.
- Pour the melted chocolate/butter mixture into the whipped eggs and blend until completely incorporated together.
- The mixture should be dark brown color.
- Portion mixture using a #6 ice cream scooper or until about 1/4" from the top of the muffin cup.
- Place at least 3-5 cherries in a circle in the center of the cake.
- Place the muffin pan in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until the cakes start to rise about 1/2" from the top of the muffin cup.
- Remove from the oven and let the cakes cool for about 2 minutes.
- The cake will be slightly running in the center.
- If you would like it completely baked, cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- Gently release the cakes from the muffin pan by running a knife or small spatula around the cakes in the muffin pans.
- Flip the muffin pan onto a flat surface and carefully lift up the muffin pan.
- Serve immediately with vanilla ice cream and the syrup from the cherries.
- *If cherries aren't available you can use dried cherries or cranberries soaked in brandy or your favorite alcohol or liquid.
- Gently heat up the liquid with the dried fruit and steep for about 30 minutes.
- Use this fruit in place of the cherries in syrup.
- Reduce the remaining liquid with a bit of sugar over low to medium heat until desired thickness, about 30 minutes.