Clams with Chorizo, Tomatoes & Saffron Broth
1⁄2 cupdry white wine, sauvignon blanc, chardonnay
1⁄2 teaspooncrushed saffron threads
1 cupextra-virgin olive oil
4 poundsmanila clams, scrubbed
1⁄2 poundSpanish chorizo, sliced 1/8 inch
1 1⁄2 cupcocktail tomatoes (about one 16-ounce basket), halved
2large shallots, thinly sliced
1 tablespoonplus 2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoonsfresh lemon juice
46 x 4-inch sourdough bread slices, cut into thirds
1⁄2 cupchopped fresh Italian parsley
- Place wine and saffron in heavy large pot over low heat. Cook 1 minute to blend flavors.
- Remove from heat; let cool.
- Whisk in olive oil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat broiler.
- Add clams, chorizo, tomatoes, shallots and 1 tablespoon chopped garlic to vinaigrette in pot.
- Cover and cook over high heat until clams open, about 8 minutes (discard any clams that do not open).
- Remove pot from heat. Using tongs, arrange clams and chorizo in large serving bowl.
- Add lemon juice to saffron-tomato broth pot.
- Meanwhile, brush sourdough bread slices lightly with olive oil.
- Rub bread with remaining 2 teaspoons garlic.
- Broil bread until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle clams with chopped parsley.
- Pour saffron-tomato broth over clams, and stir in the butter.
- Garnish with sourdough toasts and lemon wedges and serve.