Classic Bistro Steamed Clams
6fresh manila clams
3 tablespoonsvegetable oil
4garlic cloves, chopped
1large onion, chopped
1 cupwhite wine
2 cupsclam juice or water
1⁄2 cupsoftened butter, cut into 1/4" slices (1 stick)
- Wash the clams thoroughly and remove any blemishes from the shell.
- Fresh clams should be closed shut and not have any odor.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan (with a cover) over medium heat and cook garlic and onion until translucent.
- Add in the clams and wine.
- Cook for a couple of minutes to combine the flavors.
- Add in the clam juice (or water) and cover the pan for about 10 minutes until the clams open.
- Discard any clams that do not open and place clams into serving bowls.
- Season the remaining liquid in the pan with salt and pepper, and swirl in the butter to make a sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the clams.
- Garnish with lots of chopped parsley and lemon wedges.
- Serve with crusty bread.