Coca Cola Ham
1bone in fresh half ham, or bone in pork shoulder with skin (6-8 lbs)
1 pinchchili flakes
2 cupsbrown sugar, packed
1 cupCoke Classic
6 litersCoke Classic
3 cupskosher salt (or 1 1/2 cup table salt)
2heads of garlic, cloves separated & smashed
1⁄2 cupblack peppercorns
1 cupsage leaves fresh (or 1/2 cup dry)
1⁄2 cupfresh parsley
8 clovesgarlic peeled
1 tablespoonkosher salt (or 1 1/2 tb table salt)
1⁄2 tablespoonblack peppers
1⁄4 cupolive oil
- Bring 1 cup Coke Classic, juice from 2 limes, 2 cups of brown sugar, and a pinch of chili flakes to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and continue reducing until syrupy.
Ham: Brine, Rub & Bake
- To prep, carefully slice though skin and fat with serrated knife making ¼ inch deep incisions, cut in diamond patterns, do not cut into meat.
- Double bag 2-15 gallon garbage bags. Place the bags in a cooler. Combine all the brine ingredients in the bag. Place the ham in the bag with the Brine. Add 5-6 freezer packs to keep cool. Brine for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, Remove ham from brine rinse under cold water, dry thoroughly with paper towels. Let ham stand uncovered at room temp for 1 hour.
- In bowl of food processor, add 1 cup fresh sage leaves, 1/2 cup fresh parsley, 8 cloves garlic peeled, 1 tablespoon of kosher salt, 1/2 tablespoon of ground black pepper and 1/4 cup of olive oil. Puree until you have a smooth paste. Rub ham with resulting herb rub.
- Place an oven rack on the lowest shelf in the oven. Pre heat the oven to 500 degrees.
- Place ham, wide cut side down, on the oven rack, skin side up.
- Roast at 500 for 20 min.
- Reduce to 350. Brush ham with glaze every 45 minutes until the center is 150 degrees. About 2 ½ hours. Watch the ham. If it starts to get too brown, cover it with aluminum foil.
- Remove from the oven, tent with foil and let stand until the center registers 155-160 degrees. About 30-40 min.