Cornmeal Shortcakes with Peaches & Cream
1 1⁄2 cupall purpose flour (you will need extra flour when you roll out the dough)
1⁄2 cupsugar (you will need extra sugar to sprinkle on top of biscuits)
1 teaspoonBaking Powder
1 teaspoonbaking soda
1⁄2 cupyellow cornmeal
8 tablespoonsbutter, unsalted (1 stick), cut into 1/2" cubes
1⁄2 cupbuttermilk (you will need extra buttermilk to brush on top of the dough)
6peaches, ripe, peeled and sliced
1 cupheavy cream
1⁄2 teaspoonvanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Sift all dry ingredients for the shortcake together except cornmeal.
- Add the cornmeal to the sifted dry ingredients and blend well.
- Add in the butter and blend until a coarse meal is formed.
- Add in the buttermilk and blend only until a dough is formed, it should still be crumbly.
- Do not over mix or the biscuits will be tough.
- Turn the dough onto a well floured table and gently press flat to about 1" thick.
- Dust the top of the dough with flour.
- Roll the dough to about 3/4" thick using a rolling pin.
- Cut into 3" rounds with a biscuit cutter.
- Place the biscuits onto a non-stick baking sheet or line it with wax paper.
- Brush the tops with buttermilk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let the biscuits cool completely and store in an air tight container.
- Toss the peach sliced with the sugar and cinnamon.
- Let the peach mixture sit for 15 minutes until the peaches start to release juice.
- Toss again to ensure the sugar and cinnamon are evenly distributed.
- Whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form.
- Add in the sugar and vanilla and whip to stiff peaks.
- Cut the biscuits in half.
- Place the bottom on a plate cut side up.
- Spoon some of the peach slices with juice onto the biscuit.
- Dollop some whipped cream on the peaches.
- Top with the biscuit top.
- Garnish with whipped cream and some nice peach slices.
- Mint is optional.